Job Title: University Program Coordinator
Reports to: University Program Manager
Workload: Part Time
Location: Nairobi, Kenya or Kampala, Uganda
Start Date: November 1, 2016
To Apply: Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The University Program Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of Nile Project university activities including the Nile Fellows Program, Nile Project Clubs, and Nile Project Communities in East Africa. The program coordinator will be the main point of contact for all University Program partners in East Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and DR Congo).
About the Nile Project University Program
Building on the success of its Music Program, the Nile Project has launched its University Program in 6 cities across the Nile Basin in Fall 2016. These cities are Cairo and Aswan in Egypt, Bahir Dar in Ethiopia, Nairobi in Kenya, Kampala in Uganda and Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. During its first year, the Nile Project University Program will consist of:
Fellowships for 24 student leaders at 6 partner universities: This unique 12-month fellowship is designed to provide exceptional students with transformative opportunities and learning experiences at the intersection of environmental sustainability, community development, citizen diplomacy and conflict transformation.
6 Nile Project Clubs at partner universities: Each Nile Fellows cohort will establish a University Chapter on their respective campus to offer a suite of activities that inspire Nile learning, explore environmental solutions to Nile challenges, and facilitate student collaborations across the Nile Basin.
6 Nile Project Communities: The Nile Project will work with faculty advisors and local partners to identify communities where university students can design and implement projects focusing on food sustainability. These community-based projects will provide both students and community members with the opportunity to develop innovative solutions that can then be scaled across the Nile Basin.
- Assist in designing University Program activities and corresponding evaluation frameworks
- Lead the planning and implementation of university-related activities in East Africa
- Manage relationships with university and program partners in East Africa
- Work with other program leads to ensure cohesion of cross-cutting Nile Project activities.
- Oversee external communication efforts (both online and offline) related to University Program
- Build and supervise the Nile Project University Program team in East Africa
- Participate in weekly University Program staff meetings
- Conduct bi-weekly meetings with the Nile Fellows in East Africa
- Ensure team cohesion, communication and efficiency
- Build staff capacity through trainings and mentorship
- Conduct performance reviews for regional staff members and fellows
- Champion organizational culture based on Nile Project values
- Lead financial planning and oversee financial management for university program activities in East Africa
- Ensure strong fiscal responsibility and accountability
- Work closely with Nile Project staff on budget decisions and monitoring financial flows
- Manage external relations including vendors and contracts
Fundraising & Donor Relations
- Work with fundraising and program teams to define financial requirements and fundraising strategy
- Research prospect donors and keep abreast of relevant funding opportunities
- Write donor reports and ensure donor recognition based on contractual benefits
Skills & Qualifications
- 3 – 5 years of relevant program management experience
- Demonstrable experience in leading university-level clubs or extracurricular programs
- Good understanding of Nile environmental, political, and cultural landscape
- Education and / or practical experience in water, food, or environmental sustainability
- Project Management experience
- Program fundraising experience a plus
- Strategic, accountable and organized
- Proactive, energetic, highly-motivated and autonomous
- Able to express complex concepts clearly
- Good listener, quick learner and can think on their feet
- Creative and problem solver
- Entrepreneurial and will do what it takes to achieve desired results
- Fluent in written and spoken Swahili and English
The University Program Coordinator will report directly to the Nile Project University Program Manager. Reporting tools will be agreed upon in the beginning of his/her mandate.